Speaker: Gill Cleeren
Xamarin is quickly gaining a lot of traction within the Microsoft developer community. Using the same language – C# – we can now create apps which run on iOS and Android, next to only Windows Phone previously. Developers which have been developing using the .NET stack now get the ability to extend their reach onto other platforms, while still being able to use tools like Visual Studio.
In this workshop, you’ll learn about the Xamarin environment. You’ll learn about cross-platform development, Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS. All this becomes possible using the knowledge you already have: C#!
Students should have experience developing applications or websites using C#; the course assumes you are familiar with the language. XAML knowledge is a plus but is not required.
- An overview of the Xamarin platform (presentation)
- You’ll learn about the Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Forms platforms and see how they make up the Microsoft mobile development solution
- Building an application with Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS (demo by instructor)
- Building applications with Xamarin.Forms (presentation and demos by instructor)
- Instructor-led lab: Creating a Xamarin.Forms application from scratch
- Using the MVVM pattern in Xamarin.Forms (presentation)
- Instructor-led lab: Creating a Xamarin.Forms MVVM application
- Automating your builds and testing your applications (presentation and demo by instructor)
- Many developers are struggling with the automation of builds and distribution of mobile apps. Also the testing part can be hard for developers to get right. In the closing presentation of the workshop, students will learn how they can automate builds using VSTS, distribute easily using HockeyApp and test using TestCloud.